Domestic violence

Domestic violence is a serious problem and occurs across society regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, wealth, and geography. Domestic violence occurs when a family member, partner or ex-partner attempts to physically, psychologically and/or sexually dominate/hurt another. It can affect anybody, regardless of their gender or sexuality. Whatever form it takes, domestic violence is rarely a one-off incident. It's a pattern of abusive and controlling behavior through which an abuser seeks power over their family member or partner. Usually it takes the form of violence against women by men, but children are also affected, they can be traumatized by what they've seen. However, men can also become victim of domestic violence and it also occur in same-sex relationships.

People with disabilities, elderly people and people with alcohol and/or drug addiction are particularly vulnerable groups as they are usually abused by someone they depending on. Honor violence and abuse is partly like domestic violence, however there are some differences. The abusers believe that the victim to have brought dishonor upon the family, clan, or community and therefor they have to punish the victim in order to restore the honor. The abuser/s is usually a family or clan member/s and they act on a mission from the family and are often protected by the family.

The Social Service Act states that the Council (Kommunen) have responsibility to provide help and support for someone who is a victim of crime. The Council have a great responsibility for people who is at risk or has experienced domestic violence and also children who has witnessed the abuse and violence.

Are you a victim of domestic violence?
There are a number of services available for you in order to get help and support. The Social Services Department can provide emergency shelter, advice in financial matters and temporary financial help, support and advice in how to find new housing, legal advice in how to apply for divorce, advice in legal arrangements for your children and also help and support in contacting health care.

You can get in touch with a social worker at Individ- och familjeomsorgen (The Social Services
Department) Monday to Friday 08.00 – 16.00.

In case of emergency: call 112 to get in contact with the police or emergency social services.

Andra språk/Other Languages


Verksamhetschef IFO
Inger Ohlin


Sida skapad 2014-01-15
av Ingvar Bergman
Senast uppdaterad 2017-11-24